Below you will find some of the amazing STEM achievements from the girls at Haberfield Public School.
2017 was an amazing one for Haberfield’s Maths Olympiad team.
- Lindsay Zheng received the highest individual score for our school, scoring 24 out of 25. Congratulations Lindsay!
- The overall team placed in the top 10% of the teams in the entire competition with a combined score of 219.
- Last year’s team received the highest score (for Haberfield Public) since starting the competition.
Can you answer some of this year’s Maths Olympiad questions?
Q1) Time: 6 minutes
A rectangular solid wooden block is 4cm x 4cm x 5cm. The block is painted on all faces. Then the block is cut into eighty 1cm x 1cm x 1cm cubes. How many of these cubes have no paint on any faces?
Q2) Time: 7 minutes
On Jimmy’s 19th birthday, his mother was 40 years old. He looked back at a photo from a previous birthday and said, “Back then, my mother was four times my age.” How many years ago was the photo taken?
Q3) Time: 7 minutes
Michael is playing with a Magic Number Machine. A positive number is entered into the machine and each time the BUTTON is pushed the machine either subtracts 5 from the current number or doubles the number. Michael enters a single-digit number into the machine and pushes the BUTTON four times. The results are 2, 4, 7, and 12 but not necessarily in that order. What single-digit number did Michael enter into the machine?
Tournament of Minds
For the 3rd year in a row, Haberfield Public School has won an award at the regional finals of Tournament of Minds. Each time they received ‘Honours’, with both Social Science Teams receiving this award in 2017.
Congratulations to Catriona (Yr 6), Claudia (Yr 6) Lucie (Yr 5), Tahlia (Yr 5), Pieta (Yr 5), Monica (Yr 4) and Holly (Yr 4) on their win!
University of NSW Competition (Mathematics)
Last year, Haberfield girls showed their keen interest in mathematics with more entrants than boys. Moreover, the girls demonstrated their great mathematical skills with:
- 48% of the Year 2 participants achieving a CREDIT or DISTINCTION
- 37% of the Year 3 participants achieving a CREDIT or DISTINCTION
- 56% of the Year 4 participants achieving a CREDIT, DISTINCTION or HIGH DISTINCTION
- 59% of the Year 5 participants achieving a CREDIT, DISTINCTION or HIGH DISTINCTION
- 36% of the Year 6 participants achieving a CREDIT or DISTINCTION
Special mention to Victoria Wu, Nicole Zhang and Hannah Shortus for receiving HIGH DISTINCTIONS!
University of NSW Competition (Science)
In 2017, Haberfield had an even greater turnout for the UNSW Science Competition. Once again, we had more girls partake in the competition than boys. The girls demonstrated their great scientific knowledge with:
- 40% of the Year 3 participants achieving a CREDIT or DISTINCTION
- 40% of the Year 4 participants achieving a CREDIT, DISTINCTION or HIGH DISTINCTION
- 59% of the Year 5 participants achieving a CREDIT or DISTINCTION
- 55% of the Year 6 participants achieving a CREDIT or DISTINCTION
Special mention to Chantelle Ma for receiving a HIGH DISTINCTION!